December 19, 2011

She got a hat and all he has is his asshole

It's old news, I know. Everybody else has moved on, has seen Deadmau5 and Lil Wayne and are making plans to see Sting (oh yes, rumour has it Mr. Sumner will be hitting SA shores come 2012). But I am still wandering around in a Followill-induced fog, quietly singing 'Talihina Sky' and carving skinny, mustached men into tree trunks.

It only really hit me that I was about to see Kings of Leon live when the stage was being set up, and their KOL drumset was placed at the back. The first song they played was 'Crawl', and it was shivers-down-your-spine amazing. Caleb's voice is deep and sexy and he sounds like he's in pain (in a good way, of course). As each song ended and we waited for the next to begin I felt like I was having the ultimate Christmas present experience...hearing the beginning of 'Taper Jean Girl' reminded me of unwrapping a giant pink Barbie house circa 1995. They played some Youth and Young Manhood classics like 'Molly's Chambers', playing lots from Aha Shake Heartbreak and Because of the Times (my favourites). The only disappointment of the night was that they didn't play 'Milk', but judging by the crowd (great excitement at 'Use Somebody', not so much at 'My Party') I could see why.



I must confess that I didn't take these photos, I stole them from my cousin Ross Thornton-Dibb. I have no shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment